- This event has passed.
April 27 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
It’s time again for the celebration of Spring, Life, Unity, Community, and Downtown Culture! Join us April 27th for the 8th ANNUAL HOLIFEST!!
Unity in Diversity…Playing colors with each and every one brings a feeling of spirit without any distinction of caste, creed, color, race, status or sex. It is one occasion when sprinkling colored powder (‘gulal’) or colored water on each other breaks all barriers of discrimination so that everyone looks the same and universal brotherhood is reaffirmed, just like the gumbo that is Downtown culture.
HoliFest 2019 benefits the kids of CAN (Children’s Advocacy Network)!
Indian dance, live music, and authentic food! Activities for all ages! AND….
THE LARGEST!!! FREE!!! HOLI COLORS IN CENTRAL LOUISIANA!!!!
Team 4K Run/Walk/Jog Entry (Minimum of 4. Includes T-Shirt) – $30 per person
Individual 4K Run/Walk/Jog Entry (Includes T-Shirt) – $35
Indian Cuisine Plate Lunch: $10
Please note that 4K entries will increase to $40 after April 20th.
4K Run/Walk/Jog: 11:00 AM
Indian Cuisine Lunch: 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Play Colors: 12:30 PM
Alexandria Holi Festival will have dry colors. The color play will be restricted to the ‘color zone.’ While its possible some adults may withhold the temptation to become kids, it is much harder for kids to act as adults. Please follow these tips as you head to the festival.
Holi Do’s and Dont’s time!! PLEASE SHARE!
- White white white!! Wearing white makes the colors that much brighter, it also represents the empty canvas of a fresh start! : )
- Old tennis shoes! You’ll want sure footing in the spray of water!
- Children would likely get wet. It’s recommended they be in swimwear.
- Bring towels, and quick change wear.
- Swim googles or sunglasses, trust us!
- Water guns, Super squirters, etc etc.
- Bandanas for face or hair, colors have been known to tint light hair!! Bandanas also will keep colors out of your mouth and nose if it bothers you : )
- Bring towels, a change of clothes, or plan to dry in the Sun before getting in your car.
- Play ONLY in the zone, please don’t color or spray anyone outside the zone!
- Sunscreen, you’ll be surprised how fast you can burn!
- Dust off all the dry color from hair and body before getting in shower. Some colors stain when wet. If using camera, protect its lens from colors.
- NO GLASS ANYTHING!!!
- NO electronics in color zone, lots of water+lots of color= kaput electronics!!
- DO NOT color or spray outside the zone!!!! Lots of folks just enjoy watching, please respect this and have fun inside the zone only!! However, if you’re in the zone, you’re fair game.
- WATCH FOR LITTLE ONES!!!! Parents, please watch your little ones!
- Do not throw powders directly into anyone’s face. Sprinkle or stroke them on with finger tips. Anyone with breathing issues should stay away from the thick of the dust, wear a dust mask, or avoid all together. Eye wear and dust protection is recommended. Wherever children are present, adults should monitor, as the children can get overexcited and throw into each other faces. A small percentage of people are allergic to corn starch and should avoid.
- If someone takes a time out, please respect that.
This has become an amazing Downtown tradition, and believe us when we tell you that this one is going to raise the bar that much more!
Please join us in forgetting the woes and worries of the world for just a few hours.
One love and one people, this is our gift to you : ) Spreading Peace & Happiness.